Celebrate National Poetry Month with us – do any or all of the following:
- Register to hear Kansas Poet Laureate Huascar Medina as the April 12th Friends of WPL program. All are welcome!
- Check out one of WPL’s Traveling Sketchbooks – this month, sketchbooks are poetry themed.
- Check out a book of poetry from WPL.
- Create your own poem, Mad Lib style – or how about some Mad Lib Slam Poetry?
- Try your hand at Blackout Poetry – but don’t use one of our books!
- Join the Academy of American Poets for its first-ever virtual Poetry & the Creative Mind gala on April 29. Past readers have included Uzo Aduba, Sam Beam, Wayne Brady, Glenn Close, Claire Danes, Tina Fey, Terrance Howard, Bill T. Jones, Maya Lin, Paul Simon, Patti Smith, Uma Thurman, and Carrie Mae Weems.
- Sign up for Poem-a-Day and enjoy a free daily poem.
- Read 2020’s most-read poem, Naomi Shihab Nye’s Kindness.
- Last year, WPL featured The Miracle of Morning by inagural Youth Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman recorded at the Los Angeles Central Public Library. Less than a year later, Gorman delivers the inaugural speech The Hill We Climb and the first poem recited to help open The Super Bowl. Learn more about the National Youth Poets Laureate.