The renovation project positions the Winfield Public Library as the information and community hub in the Winfield area; connecting people, resources, innovation, technology, businesses, ideas, schools and organizations to foster growth, wisdom and collaboration within the community and among its residents.
The upcoming renovations rethink the existing space to function better for the benefit of all patrons. One of the most visible differences will be in the children’s area with a new Discovery and Early Learning Center with more family-friendly learning spaces, and an area specific and dedicated for teenage patrons. There will be quiet spaces for test taking, “Skype” conferencing and small group meetings, and upgrades to the electrical/mechanical systems to support 21st Century technological needs. A warming kitchen will be added to the large meeting room to improve its functionality for the community, and space overall will be modernized, efficient and user-friendly for all-aged patrons of today and tomorrow.
- The 21st Century Library Renovation Project updates electrical distribution equipment, adding new receptacles and circuits throughout the building to accommodate growing use of new technologies.
- A small conference room will be added for test-taking, conferencing & small group meetings.
- Young adults will have their own space with the technology & resources they need for study and skill development.
- A Discovery Center for children with a space for hands-on activities for learning & exploring.
- Outdated and insufficient lighting is replaced with newer, more efficient lighting. The addition of windows on the north and south adds natural light.
- The addition of an exit from the meeting room meets code requirements. A separate HVAC unit provides greater comfort & efficiency.
- A new family bathroom and the remodel of the staff restroom will meet facility and ADA requirements.
- Expansion of front entry with north & south doors prevents children from running into the drive.
- Alignment of a new corridor improves visibility from front desk for added oversight and safety.
- New carpet, ceiling tiles and other changes improve acoustics throughout.
How will this project be funded?
The total cost of the renovation project is $1.5 million dollars. It will be funded through the revenue from a city sales tax, library reserves, and a capital campaign.
How can I make a donation to the project?
Contributions can be made through Legacy Regional Community Foundation.